Sunday, January 2, 2011

Starting Off the New Year Right! (Part 1)

Today is Bottling Day. A new beer is born.
In one word: Beautiful.
Bishop Garity's Irish Red Ale (aka BTK Irish Red), my first partial-mash recipe, is locked up and gettin' all bubbly-bubbly for me to test out in around seven to ten days.

What started as an attempt to replicate a Mr. Beer recipe turned into many nights of researching grains, grain bills, hops, hop schedules, etc., and etc. Much to my enjoyment, I soon had put together a recipe that not only was in-style, but looked to be something that I'd want to try to brew and consume.
Bishop Garity's IRA seems thus far to be a good representation of the IRA style. The alcohol content seems to be a few points higher than the recipe called for at 5.2% ABV (perhaps due to the extended fermentation over the holiday season) - but I'm not complaining! The color looks to be dead-on with a ruby red finish that complements the toasty flavor well.

As a huge fan of the IRA style (Killian's Red comes to mind), I can't wait to get this one chilled; I'm definitely looking forward to slow-drinking a good IRA from a cold frosty glass...

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment