Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bottled and Brood


The Drunkin' Drood is rockin' the carbo scene as of now!
Approximately 264oz of reddish German-style Octoberfest brew was looking good out of the tank - double dry hopped, it did have a few green floaties, but that never hurt anyone so far - amirite?

Drunkin' Drood: Lean and Mean



















As for the brood? Well, every year, we celebrate St. Patrick's Day in celebration of my wife's Irish heritage. This year we added a new twist - instead of buying Irish Stout to go with the traditional meal of corned-beef and cabbage, I'm brewing some Irish Stout! 

Using a store-bought recipe from the Original Home Brew Outlet in Citrus Heights, I put up a 5 gallon batch of OHBO Dark/Dry Stout. This was one rich wort - at 1.070 OG at time of pitch this should be a decent bodied stout with pleasant coffee overtones. 

Brewing this was quite the adventure. Let's just say I was blowing so hard I should have had a bag over my head. This boil produced a lot of foam. Actually, to call it foam is not doing it justice. It was a relentless roiling body of bubbles, wanting to overflow, waiting to overflow,  only held back by the lung-power of 'yours truly' .... 

Heat break!. Catch a breath and get some homebrew in ya' soldier! 













(*Wait an minute!)
(*5 gallons? Why Mr. Bishop916... I thought you were a Mr. Beer 2.5 gallon 'little-brown-keg' brewer?)

I am.

But to go with the 5 gallon stout recipe, I also got a new 6-gallon fermenter to go big if I gotta. Yes, I took the dive, and the water is fine!

5 gallons of Irish Stout in the tank



















Until next time drinkers and thinkers, I'm out...
Go Steelers!

 - B916

No comments:

Post a Comment